Wednesday, January 25, 2012

[ HAPPY 설날! ]

Hey everyone! Happy 설날!!! Sorry it is now Wednesday and I have kept you waiting on this email now for quite some time. Actually who am I kidding, I bet you never even noticed haha.

Anyways, this was quite the week here in (Sohng-Pa). Right now we have about 3 investigators who are really progressing. I have some sad news to share about Brian. We have been meeting regularly and he was progressing so well. In fact, he had a baptismal date for 2/4 however, this last Saturday he called us and said he needed to meet for just 5 minutes. Immediately, Elder Mersmann and I just got so worried and began to pray. However, when we met he told us the news that his parents have opposed his baptism. In fact they don't even want him meeting with us right now or coming to church or anything. It just about broke my heart when he told us this. He has been so prepared, yet his parents are taking away his agency. I couldn't understand why. I now understand though that it just might not be the time yet. I can tell that he has a testimony. He knows that The Book of Mormon is the word of God. I know that when he can be baptized, he will. There is no doubt in my mind about that.



Another investigator that we have (Lee-Ju-Yun), the one we met on the subway and lived in Utah, well she is doing great! She loves to come to church. We were able to meet with here after church on Sunday with a member from our ward, Matt (He is American who is fluent in Korean, his wife is Korean). Anyways, the lesson was awesome. She understood perfectly the need for a restoration and the role The Book of Mormon has in knowing that this church is true. She has committed to begin to read it and pray to know it's true. She has also accepted to be baptized when she comes to know it's true. So awesome!!

Our investigator (Lee-Say-Won), the referral from Canada, is doing well also. She came to church yesterday with her friend. They both admitted they were a little bored and tired, but it was good none the less. She is progressing a little slower than we had thought. Her baptismal date from the 4th will most likely have to be moved back, but she still enjoys meeting.


There was a big miracle that happened to me this week. Earlier in the day, I was walking down the street and I thought to myself, I haven't really felt like I have been prompted to talk to too many people my whole mission like all the stories I hear. Why is that? Anyways, later in the day I was waiting at the bus stop and there were two people for me to talk to and I had to choose which one. I felt a distinct prompting to talk to the kid (age 24) rather than the grandpa. So I did it. I started talking to him and he was REALLY nice, which is unusual for his age. We got on the bus together and just kept talking. Found out that we live really close to each other. when we got off, he invited us to his house. We met his parents and then he grabbed some pot stickers and said he wanted to eat them together. We headed to the church, ate together, gave a tour of the church, and showed the video "do you know our church?" It went super well. He had tons of questions. He committed to come to church on Sunday and he did! He was very quiet and shy, he didn't want people to talk to him, but he came none the less. Such an awesome story to me of prompting. When they come, ACT ON THEM!

Lastly, we are meeting a man named (yoon-jung-hwa). He is from our English class. He is doing very well and has a lot of interest in Joseph Smith. Nothing too extreme to update on...YET! Haha. Maybe next week :)

For our holidays, we spent Sunday and Monday inside just working on records and resting on our p-day. We went to the church and played ping pong for a little, but nothing special happened. On Tuesday we had a special conference for it and it was AMAZING! wow, it was just everything I needed to hear. It got me soo fired up on this work and just made me want to try that much harder. Also, our returning AP gave a very good last talk. He spoke of how the Korean missionaries are the future of Korea. It really touched me and realize how much I love this country and how much it means to me. I love the people here. I can't even express it. He spoke of how if they don't become good leaders then the church here will not progress. It just really hit me hard of how badly I want the people of Korea to hear our message.

I have set a goal this last week of reading the entire Book of Mormon in Korean by the end of my mission. It shouldn't be hard, but a goal I really want to accomplish.

I think one of my favorite parts as a missionary is being able to testify. I feel so lucky to be able to testify as a special representative of our Savior Jesus Christ. I do know that he lives and that this is the only way to true happiness. Commandments are not to restrict us, but to make us free. There is such truth in that. I am grateful for my knowledge of this Gospel. I know it to be true with everything in me.

I love you so much. I hope you are safe and have a great week! Make it epic.

Love,
Elder Messick

P.S. GRANDPA!!!! 89!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!



The Han River


The huge Lotte Department store in our area.


New Suit!


President Lee and I!


The AP going home to Australia. Such an awesome guy.


PASS OFF TIE!

No comments:

Post a Comment