Sunday, October 30, 2011

[ HAPPY HALLOWEEN! ]

Dear Family and Friends!

Hello! How was your week!? Mine has been pretty eventful, as always. As a missionary, not a day goes by without something out of the ordinary happening. I love it!

This last week on Wednesday I went on splits with our zone leader. I headed over to his area which is about a 40 minute subway ride and 20 minute bus ride from my area. For the day, we headed out to a part of his area that he had never been before because it's what is called the (She-gore) which just means like countryside. It was like i was in another country there. It really made me think of Elder Roche and what his mission is like because this area was poor and and not very populated, like some of his areas have been, but just not as bad. Anyways while we were there, we saw this cemetery. Korean cemeteries are interesting when they are for wealthy people. The wealthier or more famous you are, the higher mound of dirt you get put on top of your burial spot. Anyways, there was this one mound that was huge. As we were leaving, a guy who was working there called us over. We weren't quite sure why, but he said that because we are Americans he wanted to show us something. He took us in his house and started to talk all about his family history. Apparently, that one mound was his 12th great grandfather who was the Father in Law of the King in Korea. Pretty intense i guess. He showed us a drawing of him that was from 1680 with the king's hand writing on it. Anyways, I thought of this as a miracle because he was just so interested in family history work. I feel as though when he learns of our message, if his hard is open, he will receive it with great joy. I'm sad he is not in my area because he was a very nice old man.

On Saturday, we had a combined ward halloween party. It went soo well. We played games and ate candy and had a good time. It was honestly one of the most successful LDS events I've been to I think. Everyone was saying how much fun it was. Even all the parents were playing the games and getting really into it. I have some pictures for you, but this computer won't let me put them on so maybe next week I'll send them. The little kids are soo adorable.








Last night we had to literally run to the sisters house. The sister missionary in our ward, Sister Bae (korean) has been sick for the last few days. She was in a lot of pain last night and called us to give her a blessing. It was probably pretty funny looking, this white guy and korean guy running through the crowded streets in suits and ties. Oh well, we made it there and she is slowing improving. It was a pretty powerful experience as we blessed her. It is SUCH a special privilage to be a priesthood holder. I am so grateful to have the keys of the priesthood restored and never to be lost again.

We had our regular interviews with president Lee this last week and he told me to make sure I bore my testimony to you often so I just want you to know that this truly is God's church on this Earth. I have such a firm knowledge of that. The more I learn and study the gospel, the stronger my testimony becomes. My testimony's foundation is the Book of Mormon. I know that it is the word of God. Because it is, everything else must be true. It's like what Elder Holland's grandfather said, (not quoted directly) "no bad person could write this book, and no good person would write it, unless he was called by God to do so." I know that as we read the book of mormon every day, we will strengthen our testimony, feel the spirit, and feel God's love for us. I love each of you so very much. I hope that you guys are having so much fun back in America. I think of you and pray for you often. HAVE AN EPIC WEEK!

Love,
Elder Messick
메시크 장로 (May-She-Kuh - Chang-No)


The last one is a little present that Thao gave to me :)

1 comment:

  1. Love how the Koreans eat at a Ward Party! And the bow when receiving the gift is so sweet! Love this!

    ReplyDelete