Sunday, September 4, 2011

[ FAST SUNDAY #4 ]

Hey family and friends!

Well another great week has passed here in Seoul, Korea! I have not been transferred, nor was my companion. So, we have high hopes for the next 6 weeks here in Nok Boen.

We started off this transfer by deciding to clean our house! It is a pretty old apartment with some mold so we spent hours just going to town on it. I was doing the kitchen, while my companion tackled the bathroom. It was pretty gross, but definitely necessary. I hope we can keep it clean now!

The next day, I was able to pass off lesson 2 (the plan of salvation) in Korean. I was very excited about that. I plan to do "mid-way" pass off on Wednesday. "Mid-way" includes 4 random principles from the first 2 lessons, a basic contact on the street, a simple version of the first lesson, and reciting Joseph Smith's first vision.

Our investigator with a baptismal date, Chae Song Tek , is progressing very well, expect one problem. We taught the word of wisdom 2 days ago and he has some problems with it. He smokes and drinks occasionally. He has accepted the challenge, but his baptismal date has been moved back one day to the 18th because he was unable to attend church, due to his grandchild's 100 day birthday ( I know lame, they are huge here though). Anyways, please continue to keep him in your prayers. I know that he will be able to reach the waters of baptism because he has a strong desire and a real love for Jesus Christ.

I was able to get a letter from Thao (from the MTC) and she is doing great. Right now, she is in Vietnam but will be heading back to Utah soon. Baptism is not on the top of her priorities at the moment, but I have faith that one day she will know that it is the right thing to do.

I had two pretty incredible miracles happen this week. Since it is a new transfer, our zone leaders said that our goal for the transfer is based on Ether 12:12, which is about, without faith miracles can't happen. Anyways, we were walking on the street after visiting a member and we were trying to just get some contacts. We realized we had made a goal to teach one lesson on the street before we had to go home for dinner. Well, my companion said "ok, we are going to get a new investigator right now before we are home." Sadly, in my mind my first thought was, "ha ya right." But, right after that the scripture Ether 12:12 came to my mind. So, I told myself, "Alright Heavenly Father, I have faith that this can happen, I really do." Well right after that I got a really bad headache all of the sudden so we went to get a drink of water. Literally it was like 30 seconds after this whole thought process. Anyways, as I was drinking some water, this guy comes from out of his office and calls us into his office to talk. He gave us a drink and talked to us for about 15 minutes. We were able to give him a Book of Mormon and will be going back tomorrow to teach about the restoration in more detail. Now, that is the power of faith right there. I can testify to you, because I have witnessed it for myself, that with faith miracles can and WILL happen. I know this.

The second miracle happened on Saturday. We were on the street again, hoping for another lesson. Well, we met this guy at the bus stop and only had about 3 minutes to talk to him. He said he has walked by our church many times and was curious about our beliefs. Well, he ended up coming to priesthood session and brought his 3 daughters to primary! Pretty awesome! His wife wasn't able to make it, but he said he plans on coming for all 3 hours next week. AWESOME!

To wrap up my week, yesterday we had a member of our ward need our help with some translation. Let's just say that was one of the hardest things my companion and I have ever done in Korean in our lives! It was just some raw Korean with no rough English to edit from. It was about an old palace questionnaire thing, so we didn't know any of the vocabulary. We spent 3 hours just trying to figure it out with our translators. Anyways, it was a good experience because I learned a lot and it helped build good relations with the ward.

I am grateful to be here in Korea. Although it is hard sometimes, it is always worth it. I think of that quote a lot that Ryan, Elder Roche, said from Lance Armstrong "pain is only temporary, but quitting lasts forever" I hope you all know how much I love you. I love our Savior very much and I am forever grateful for him. I hope you have a great week and enjoy watching the big waves! I love you!

Love,
Elder Messick

The first 2 are with a member in our ward, Chore Lee, He is the one who lives in the crazy scary hospital. Then the others are just some fun ones. If you zoom in on the picture of my companion and i walking it kind of looks like we are glowing. Pretty cool :)







Pretty great huh!? We are supposed to preach to every creature right...haha

I love you,
Elder Messick

Sorry but I gotta go now. Have a great week! Travel safe!! CONGRATS ON THE GIRL AUBREY!

No comments:

Post a Comment