Sunday, August 7, 2011

[ Week 3 in 한국 ]

Hi Family and Friends!

I had a great week here in Korea. Most of our time was spent out contacting. For contacting we have 3 main different ways. Our first is to street board. Basically, we just have 2 posters with summaries of the plan of salvation and the restoration and we try to stop people of the street to let us teach them. The second way is subway contacting. We just ride our subway in a circle for an hour or two and try to talk to people. The third way is do just ring door bells of apartment complexes. We go up to the 18th floor and then just work our way down. It is funny because all the door bells have little video cameras. The people will talk to you for like a good minute just through the microphone. It's pretty funny. When Koreans don't want you to talk to them they have this funny saying and the direct translation of it is "oh, that became" It kind of just makes me laugh every time they say it because it just makes no sense to me.

My companion and I were supposed to go on a hike today, but we got a phone call from a member in our ward saying that a typhoon was going to hit us today, but don't worry, I'll be fine. It just changed our plans a little bit. haha. Not sure what we will do now.

There was a little miracle that happened to us that I wanted to mention. My companion and I got on the bus to go to a district meeting 30 minutes away. It was blue skys so we thought there was no need for an umbrella. Well, when we get on the bus to head home guess what? Yup, it starts pouring! We had a ton of contacting fliers with us (like 300) because we just had picked them up and everything was going to get ruined. On the bus, my companion and I decided to say a little personal prayer. It was raining when we got to our stop, bummed of course. Right when we got of the bus, the rain just stopped. It was so weird. Little miracles like that happen every day. God is real and he does hear our prayers.

I have a funny story for you. We were eating at a member's house and she served us some chicken, kim chee, and a bunch of like random things that i don't even know what they were. Well, i was doing a really good job with the kimchee and the member even mentioned that to me, so i was pretty stoked. After every piece though i had to have a sip of water because it was so spicy. This was really lucky though, because Koreans NEVER have liquids with their meals. They like having their food make them sweat. Well, i went to go pick up a carrot with like this sauce on it with my chopsticks and i totally dropped it right in my water. It was so embarrassing. Anyways, she never brought me another water so I couldn't eat anymore kim chee. haha.

It is unbelievable the Spirit that the members have here. My companion and I got in a bit of an argument right before we had to go to visit a member. We still we upset with each other before we got there and we just didn't really have the Spirit with us. Well, while we were in the house, the members are just so nice and the spirit in the home just lifted my companion and i right up. It is so true that the closest place to heaven other than the temple is the home. This experience really taught me this principle. When I have a family of my own I will make sure to have a home where my children can learn and grow in the gospel and be able to feel the Spirit.

I was able to get that dear elder from you dad! thank you so much. You always know how to lift my day. I would have gotten the letter much sooner I'm sure, but we only get mail once every 2 weeks. It's a big bummer, but it teaches patience i guess. So basically don't send cookies. hahah. I haven't been able to send you you're package yet because there is this place i want to go to get a bunch of ties, but it is closed for summer vacation. Apparently like 1/2 (not really) of Seoul's population goes to the ocean this time of the year because of the heat. Anyways, i should be able to go get them next Monday and your package will be in the mail. :)

I wanted to end with a quote that I love. "There is no cure for the ills of the world except the Gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ. Our hope for peace, for temporal and spiritual prosperity, and for eventual inheritance in the Kingdom of God is found only in and through the restored gospel. There is no work that any of us can engage in that is as important as preaching the Gospel and building up the church and Kingdom of God on Earth." - Joseph Fielding Smith. I know that this work is so important. I am giving it my all to find His lost sheep and bring them back to His fold. I love the scripture Alma 17:31. It is a joy to be involved in His work.

I hope you all have a great week. Be safe. I love you all! 사랑해요!!
--
love,
Elder Messick

P.S. I totally was able to eat taco bell!!! Wasn't the same though.





Pictures above: The first 2 are of this old wall that i guess used to be something similar destroyed during the Korean war. I don't know I couldn't really understand i just think it looks cool haha. The next one is of our investigator Tan Thao from Vietnam. Lastly is me in my Fast Sunday attire. Hope you wore your tie dad!

No comments:

Post a Comment